Summary:The Five Solas are:
1. Sola Scriptura (“Scripture alone”): The Bible alone is our highest authority.
2. Sola Fide (“faith alone”): We are saved through faith alone in Jesus Christ.
3. Sola Gratia (“grace alone”): We are saved by the grace of God alone.
4. Solus Christus (“Christ alone”): Jesus Christ alone is our Lord, Savior, and King.
5. Soli Deo Gloria (“to the glory of God alone”): We live for the glory of God alone.
In this activity you are encouraged to explore these “phrases” to understand what they mean, to research their scriptural proof texts, and most importantly, to determine their meaning and relevance in the context of our world today. There is a mountain of Internet resources to explain the Five Solas. Instructions are simple, but be warned, they read easier than they do. You can use a separate paper for this activity:
1. Research the meaning and provide a brief explanation of each Sola statement.
2. Locate Scripture references and proof texts that support each statement.
3. Write a short reflection describing your personal reaction to each statement and an application for the particular doctrine in the world today.
You can download the PDF file listed above to complete the assignment.